If I was talking to young leaders, I would make these suggestions to help them navigate the journey of serving:
- Make sure Christ is your greatest passion. If not, your leadership will never be what it could be. Serving is the overflow of God’s fresh work in our lives. We must make growing deeper a priority every day.
- Remember that the ministry is not about you, but about Him and the purpose He has called you to. If you become owner of the ministry He gives you, you may begin to accept the accolades that belong to Him. That’s when the ministry becomes yours, not His.
- Discern between mountains and mole hills. I used to think I had to win every discussion. Every mole hill was worth dying on in my eyes. Over time, I realize I wasted much time on things that do not really matter.
- Remember you are to serve like Christ…as a servant leader. Study how Jesus led and served, and model your leadership after Him.
- Never get over your own salvation! When we remember what Jesus really did to give us life, we should be overwhelmed—more overwhelmed with that than with anything else God does through us.
- Always remember the privilege it is to serve Jesus. He doesn’t need us, but He allows us to serve. Amazing!
- Follow through. Do everything you can to honor your commitments. Don’t start and stop your tasks. Ask God to give you wisdom to accomplish what He gives you to do.
What else would you advise a younger leader to do to develop a Christlike servant heart?