Due to the fact that so many are in crisis today, many churches have initiated ministries targeting needs of hurting women. We must be prepared to minister by doing several things. Equip ourselves and train women to be equipped and prepared. Use resources like Women Reaching Women in Crisis book, Shepherding Women in Pain or A Trusted Friend to prepare to meet the needs of hurting women. Go to a training offered by American Association of Christian Counselors.
Check out resources in your church (counselors, attorneys, financial advisors etc) and in your community (counselors, safe houses, food pantries, etc) to whom you can refer women when necessary.
Here are some titles for ministries being offered by churches to help connect hurting women with help:
• Heartstrings: Confidential Conversation for Women-women are paired with women who have come through a similar situation
• Women In Need-“Need to talk to caring Christian woman experienced in nursing others back to emotional and spiritual health? Leave message and counselor will call to talk privately and confidentially. “
• Care & Share-“If you would be willing to talk with, listen to, and pray with another woman where she walks where you have once walked, please complete attached profile–lists possible areas of need (addictions, abuse, aging parents, adultery, blended family, teenage rebellion, eating disorders, etc)” Criteria: Must be able to give clear testimony of salvation, be active member of church, be a good listener, be able to focus and share w/other women how God brought you through, not necessarily what all you went through, be willing to spend time in prayer with another woman, be willing to attend a one-time training seminar sponsored by Alpha Care
• Encouragement Network-“Help and a good listener are a phone call away”
• Called to Encourage– Shepherds women through times of crisis and helps them draw closer to Christ in process: Mending Hearts-death of loved one; HIS-Help for Injured Sisters (sexual abuse); Someone Cares-post abortion syndrome
What are you doing to help hurting women?
Hurting Women category on this blog for supporting articles
Women Reaching Women in Crisis book
A Trusted Friend
Women Reaching Women
Shepherding Women in Pain, Bev Hislop
I Will Carry You, Angie Smith
Women Reaching Women in Crisis , LifeWay Women Live web cast
American Association of Christian Counselors www.AACC.net